Peter Steele is a poet, academic, Jesuit priest, and Professor Emeritus of English literature at the University of Melbourne. His publications include seven books of poetry: Word from Lilliput (1973), Marching on Paradise (1973), Invisible Riders (1999), Plenty: Art into Poetry (2003), The Whispering Gallery: Art into Poetry (2006), White Knight with Bee-Box: New and Selected Poems (2009), and The Gossip and the Wine (2010).
Arts Update - new reviews
From the Archives
- Inside the dream palace
- Aidan Coleman: Asymmetry
- Fairly Fine Tuned Schedule Wise
- Dennis Altman reviews Bob Brown's memoir 'Optimism'
- The sombre point
- 2011 Calibre Prize (winner): 'Who Killed Matilda?'
- Jolley Prize 2014 (Shortlist): 'The Art of Life' by Faith Oxenbridge
- B. Michael Radburn: The Crossing
- Pleasures of aporia
- 2013 Calibre Prize (Winner): ‘“Because it’s your country”: Bringing Back the Bones to West Arnhem Land'
- Jolley Prize 2013 (Winner): 'Leaving Elvis' by Michelle Michau-Crawford
- James Der Derian on Edward Snowden and cyber-zombies
- Jolley Prize 2010 (Winner): 'A Roānkin philosophy of poetry' by Maria Takolander
- Anthony Lynch reviews 'Goad Omen' by Corey Wakeling
- Sonya Hartnett revisits 'A Difficult Young Man' by Martin Boyd
- RS White reviews 'Shakespeare, Sex, and Love' by Stanley Wells, 'Shakespeare’s Freedom' by Stephen Greenblatt, and 'Shakespeare’s Individualism' by Peter Holbrook
- Peter Rose on the peculiar charms of E.M. Forster
- Robert Reynolds reviews 'The End of the Homosexual?' by Dennis Altman
- Seamus Heaney: Human Chain; and Dennis O'Driscoll: Stepping Stones