April 2019, issue no. 410
Welcome to the April issue of ABR!
Hypocrisy in the Vatican
Barney Zwartz on Frédéric Martel's In the Closet of the Vatican
Alecia Simmonds on Married at First Sight
A look at reality television's misogyny and malice
Gerald Murnane's A Season on Earth
Paul Giles on the author's revised second novel
Andrea Goldsmith's Invented Lives
Francesca Sasnaitis on the author's new fiction
Stalin, Roosevelt, and Churchill
Sheila Fitzpatrick on The Kremlin Letters
Sign up to ABR newsletters
More from the current issue
Leah Kaminsky’s novel The Hollow Bones focuses on Ernst Schäfer, a German who was sent to Tibet by Himmler in the late 1930s, outwardly to collect plant and animal specimens; secretly to ‘search for the origins of the Aryan race’. Himmler’s abhorrent obsessions are not focused on ...
Philip Jones reviews Capturing Nature: Early scientific photography at the Australian Museum 1857–1893 by Vanessa Finney
The photographic resources of museums and their archives have emerged as key sources for studying the natural world and human cultures, particularly as those studies have widened to include the techniques and modus operandi of scientists and anthropologists themselves. Their notebooks and field equipment ...
According to the AFP, two Australians under the age of eighteen are reported missing every hour. Most are found alive, fairly quickly, but an unlucky few will progress to the category of long-term missing persons. From the Beaumont children of the 1960s to the more recent disappearance of toddler William Tyrrell ...
Also in this issue
March 2019, no. 409
• The 2019 Peter Porter Poetry Prize shortlist
• Behrouz Boochani's new poem 'Flight from Manus'
• Dominic Kelly on MUP and the resilience of non-fiction publishing
• Ian Tyrrell on Progressive New World by Marilyn Lake
• Susan Sheridan on a memoir of Wake in Fright author Kenneth Cook
Jan-Feb 2019, no. 408
• Sarah Holland-Batt on the second volume of Sylvia Plath’s letters
• Publisher picks: leading editors reveal their favourite books
• Jane Cadzow on Alan Rusbridger’s new memoir Breaking News
• Alex Tighe on Sebastian Smee’s new Quarterly Essay Net Loss
• Danielle Clode on Shaun Tan's new book Tales from the Inner City