I’m scrubbing the word SCUM off the front door of our house. I wipe so hard that my wrists start to ache, but the red letters remain bold and bright, their edges dripping as if they’re bleeding.
'Help Me Harden My Heart', a new story by Dominic Amerena
Read the rest of this article by subscribing to ABR Online for as little as $10 a month. We offer a range of subscription options, including print, which can be found by clicking here. If you are already a subscriber, enter your username and password in the ‘Log In’ section in the top right-hand corner of the screen. If you require assistance, contact us or consult the Frequently Asked Questions page.
Dominic Amerena is a writer, editor and researcher from Melbourne. His work has appeared in The Australian, The Age, Overland, The Lifted Brow, Meanjin, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Guardian and Vice. His short story ‘Help Me Harden My Heart’ was commended in the 2016 ABR Elizabeth Jolley Short Story Prize.
By this contributor
Leave a comment
Please note that all comments must be approved by ABR and comply with our Terms & Conditions.
NB: If you are an ABR Online subscriber or contributor, you will need to login to ABR Online in order to post a comment. If you have forgotten your login details, or if you receive an error message when trying to submit your comment, please email your comment (and the name of the article to which it relates) to ABR Comments. We will review your comment and, subject to approval, we will post it under your name.
August 2019, no. 413
• Bruce Pascoe on Stan Grant
• Omid Tofighian on the ABR Behrouz Boochani Fellowship
• Grace Karskens' Calibre Prize-winning essay
• The ABR Indigenous Fellowship - worth $10,000
• Ellen van Neerven on Tara June Winch
June-July 2019, no. 412
• Felicity Plunkett on Nick Cave and trauma's aftermath
• Calibre Essay Prize runner-up Sarah Walker's personal essay on pregnancy
• Jack Callil on Ali Smith's new novel Spring
• Alan Atkinson on James Dunk's history of New South Wales
• Zora Simic on #MeToo, a compilation of essays on the movement