Australian Book Review Inc. (referred to as ‘the Publisher’ throughout) offers access to ABR Online on the following Terms and Conditions. Please read this document carefully before proceeding. The Publisher reserves the right to change the Terms and Conditions at any time. www.australianbookreview.com.au is referred to as ‘the website’ in this document.
ABR Online SUBSCRIPTION SERVICES
If you proceed and become an ABR Online subscriber, or if you purchase access to ABR Online for one month only, you acknowledge that:
- you buy access to ABR Online only for the duration of your subscription;
- this subscription is for personal use only;
- you will not permit third parties to access ABR Online either gratis or for a charge;
- if the Publisher discovers that your account has been regularly opened by other users, we will require you to convert your individual subscription into an institutional (group) subscription, at a different subscription rate;
- you are wholly responsible for the security and confidentiality of your username and password, and you will not reveal these details to others or publish them;
- the price of any subscription service is subject to change at any time.
ONLINE PAYMENT SECURITY
ABR Online SUBSCRIPTION PERIODS
ABR Online subscribers will pay the relevant subscription prices in advance.
A one-year subscription is an agreement whereby the subscriber joins and has access to ABR Online for a period of 12 months (i.e. eleven issues). A one-year subscription gives subscribers full access to digital content, including any online back issues.
The Publisher will not invoice subscribers on a recurring basis. A renewal notice will be issued by email prior to the expiration of the subscription period. Subscribers will need to take action to confirm they wish to renew their current subscription.
PURCHASING ACCESS TO ABR Online FOR ONE MONTH ONLY
A subscriber can purchase access to ABR Online for a single month. A one-month subscription gives the subscriber access to ABR Online for thirty days.
Those subscribing for one month do not have access to any back issue content.
The Publisher will not invoice these subscribers on a recurring basis. Subscribers will need to purchase subsequent access separately.
ABR does not give refunds.
Use of ABR Online is at the subscriber’s own risk. The Publisher makes no representation or warranty about, or shall be liable, in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise, for any direct, indirect, special or consequential loss, damages or reliance in connection with ABR Online, its use, its content or any products or services referred to in ABR Online or on the website. This includes (but is not restricted to) loss or damage you might suffer as a result of any of the following:
- reliance on ABR Online content (including third-party material and advertisements), regardless of any editorial measures taken by us;
- failure of performance, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, failure to correct defects, delay in operation or transmission, computer virus or other harmful component, loss of data, communication line failure, unlawful third party conduct, or theft, destruction, alteration or unauthorised access to records;
- accessing any sites or servers maintained by other organisations through links on ABR Online or the website. Links are provided for the convenience of users only and without responsibility for the content or operation of those sites. Unless otherwise stated, linked sites and their products and services are not endorsed by the Publisher and your linking to any such site is at your own risk;
- the provision of credit card or other financial information, the failure to complete (or delay in completing) any transaction, or other loss or damage arising from any e-commerce transacted or attempted to be transacted on the website.
CONTINUED SITE AVAILABILITY AND ACCESS
The Publisher will do whatever it can to offer unbroken access to ABR Online and the website generally, but it cannot guarantee this. The Publisher reserves the right to alter fees for access to ABR Online.
You indemnify the Publisher, its affiliates, employees, agents, contributors, third-party content providers and licensors from and against all actions, suits, claims, demands, liabilities, costs, expenses, loss and damage (including legal fees on a full indemnity basis) incurred or suffered by you or by us as a direct or indirect consequence of your accessing, using or transacting on this site or your attempts to do so or any breach by you or your agents of these Terms.
COPYRIGHT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
The material in ABR Online and on the website is protected by copyright under the Australian Copyright Act 1968 (the Act) and, through international treaties, in other countries. Copyright in articles and images appearing in ABR Online and on the website remains with each third-party contributor. Otherwise all rights (including copyright) in the content and compilation of these web pages are owned or controlled for these purposes, and are reserved, by the publisher:
Australian Book Review Inc. (ABN 21 176 539 338)
Studio 2, 207–229 City Road, Southbank, Vic., 3006
Telephone: +61 3 9699 8822
Facsimile: +61 3 9699 8803
You are authorised to download and view content for your own personal, non-commercial use but you must not, without the prior written permission of the publisher, exploit any of our site materials for commercial purposes. And except as permitted under the Act, no part of ABR Online or the website may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, communicated or transmitted in any form or by any means without prior written permission.
INSTITUTIONAL ACCESS VIA IP ADDRESS AUTHORISATION
These are the Terms and Conditions for institutional subscribers covering rights and limitations for IP address access to ABR Online. They are in addition to the Terms and Conditions above.
The Publisher grants IP address access to ABR Online to all Authorised Users on the following conditions:
- The Publisher’s acceptance of the institutional subscriber’s order; and
- Receipt of the total subscription fee.
‘Authorised Users’ are accredited current full and part-time students, employees (including faculty and staff), and other individuals permitted to use the computers on an institutional subscriber’s restricted site. For organisations situated in more than one city, each city office is considered a different site. For organisations within the same city that are administered independently, each office is considered a different site.
These Authorised Users may only access ABR Online while onsite at the institutional subscriber’s premises. Access to ABR Online is accessible only via a fixed IP address or fixed IP range; and ABR Online is not accessible remotely to Authorised Users off-site.
The institutional subscriber accepts the following guidelines:
- The institutional subscriber will undertake all necessary steps to ensure that only Authorised Users access ABR Online.
- The institutional subscriber understands – and will take all necessary steps to ensure – that Authorised Users can only access ABR Online while onsite at the institutional subscriber’s premises, and that ABR Online may not be accessed remotely by its Authorised Users.
- Institutional Subscribers agrees to the following:Subscription access: The Publisher provides IP address access to ABR Online only for the term of a specific subscription.
- The institutional subscriber is responsible for maintaining reasonable security measures, and posting policies in accordance with the rights and restrictions described here to ensure that only Authorised Users can access ABR Online . The institutional subscriber is prohibited from making ABR Online available to individuals or organisations or partners not formally part of the institution purchasing this specific subscription. The institutional subscriber confirms that all IP addresses in the range provided for authorisation are specifically controlled by the institution for workstations under its administrative control and for the use of individuals who meet the Authorised User definition above. The Institutional Subscriber is responsible for maintaining the list of IP addresses of all Authorised Users by calling ABR: +61 3 9699 8822. This list may be updated by contacting the Publisher during business hours.
- If the institutional subscriber becomes aware of unauthorised access to ABR Online, it will notify the Publisher immediately and cooperate in locating and attempting to stop the offending party. If the specific abuser cannot be identified or stopped, the Publisher reserves the right to withhold, suspend or stop access to ABR Online, without liability.
- Subscription access: The Publisher provides IP address access to ABR Online only for the term of a specific subscription.