February 2008 no. 298
I have often admired the mystical way of Pythagoras, and the secret magic of numbers.
Sir Thomas Browne, Religio Medici
The real world is not given to us, but put to us by way of a riddle.
During a lull in the fiercest weather event the south-east of the continent has seen in thirty years – we call them ‘events’ these days, as though someone’s putting them on – I went out on a Sunday morning and bought myse ...
Story of the Month
From the issue
- Jacinta Mulders reviews The Hollow Bones by Leah Kaminsky
- Robin Gerster reviews The War Artist by Simon Cleary
- Glyn Davis reviews Prime Movers: From Pericles to Gandhi by Ferdinand Mount
- Astrid Edwards reviews Diving into Glass: A memoir by Caro Llewellyn
- Joan Fleming reviews Short Poems of New Zealand edited by Jenny Bornholdt
- Tim Mehigan reviews Beyond the Ancient Quarrel: Literature, philosophy and J.M. Coetzee edited by Patrick Hayes and Jan Wilm