February 2008 no. 298
I have often admired the mystical way of Pythagoras, and the secret magic of numbers.
Sir Thomas Browne, Religio Medici
The real world is not given to us, but put to us by way of a riddle.
During a lull in the fiercest weather event the south-east of the continent has seen in thirty years – we call them ‘events’ these days, as though someone’s putting them on – I went out on a Sunday morning and bought myse ...
From the issue
- Daniel May reviews Black Saturday: Not the end of the story by Peg Fraser
- News from the Editor's Desk - June–July 2019
- Alan Atkinson reviews Bedlam at Botany Bay by James Dunk
- Geoff Page reviews The Tomb of the Unknown Artist by Andy Kissane
- Glyn Davis reviews Winners Take All: The elite charade of changing the world by Anand Giridharadas
- Michael Sexton reviews Robert Menzies: The art of politics by Troy Bramston