ABR 2017 Jolley Prize
Guidelines, terms, and conditions
Who can enter?
1. Entries are welcome from writers anywhere in the world.
2. There is no age limit.
3. ABR staff, board members, and editorial advisers are not eligible to enter. ABR contributors and volunteers may enter.
What does it cost to enter a story?
4. Each entry must be accompanied by an entry fee of AU$25, or AU$15 for current ABR subscribers. To qualify for the lower entry fee, entrants must hold a current one-year subscription to our print edition or ABR Online.
5. If you don’t already subscribe to ABR Online, you can purchase a one-year subscription and enter a single story for a total of AU$50. You can then enter additional stories at the discounted rate of $15 each.
6. If you don’t already subscribe to ABR’s print edition, you can purchase a one-year subscription and enter a single story for the following rates: $95 (Australia), $140 (New Zealand/Asia), or $155 (ROW)
7. If you choose not to subscribe to ABR (priont or online) when you enter the Prize and you are not already an ABR subscriber you will receive access to ABR Online free of charrge for three months.
How to enter online
8. We encourage writers to enter online.
9. Online entries should be either PDFs or Word documents. The text should be presented with 1.5 spacing and in 12 pt font size. The pages should be numbered.
10. The author’s name must not appear in the document or in the name of the digital file.
11. The file name should only include the title of the story.
12. Online entrants will receive automatic confirmation of receipt.
How to enter by mail
13. We accept entries sent by post.
14. Use the entry form available for download on the Jolley Prize page on our website
15. Stories sent by post must be printed on single-sided A4 paper, with 1.5 spacing and 12 pt font size.
16. One copy is required of each story.
17. Entries will not be returned.
18. The author’s name must not appear on the manuscript – only on the entry form.
19. Cheques and money orders should be made payable to Australian Book Review and must be in Australian dollars.
20. Entries will not be accepted by email or fax.
21. Address for posted entries: Jolley Prize, Australian Book Review, Studio 2, 207 City Road, Southbank, Victoria 3006, Australia
22. Hard-copy entries postmarked 10 April 2017 will be accepted.
23. Hard-copy entries will be acknowledged by email within one month of receipt (as long as a valid email address is provided). Do not contact us for confirmation before this time has elapsed.
Terms and conditions
24. Entries must be a single story of 2,000 to 5,000 words, written in English.
25. Multiple entries are permitted.
26. Entries must be original works written by an individual author.
27. Entries must not infringe upon anyone’s copyright.
28. Entries that are deemed to be works of plagiarism will be disqualified.
29. Entries should not be on offer to other publications or prizes or anthologies for the duration of the Jolley Prize.
30. Previously published, prize-winning, or broadcast stories will not be accepted. (Previous online appearances constitute prior publication.) Entries will be deemed ineligible if they are under contract to another publisher or broadcaster.
31. Stories entered but not shortlisted in past Jolley Prizes may be re-entered.
32. Translations are not eligible.
33. The closing date for entries is midnight, 10 April 2017.
34. If entrants subsequently withdraw their entries, the entry fee will not be refunded.
35. Shortlisted authors may be required to take part in events and media activities.
36. The prize money also covers publication in ABR Online and the print edition.
37. Copyright in the story (or stories) remains with the entrant.
38. There are three principal prizes: $7,000 (first prize), $2,000 (second prize), $1,000 (third prize).
39. The judges will commend three extra stories, the authors of which will receive $850 each.
40. The three shortlisted stories will be published in August 2017, both in the print edition and in ABR Online.
41. The three commended stories will appear in subsequent issues or online.
42. ABR will edit the stories and will consult the author throughout.
The Judging Process
43. Judging is completely anonymous.
44. The entrant’s name must not appear in the Word file/PDF, the file’s title, or on the hard copy – only on the entry form.
45. The judges will be announced soon.
46. ABR will publish the shortlisted stories in the August 2017 issue and announce the overall winner at a special ceremony later that month. All entrants will be invited.
47. The judges’ decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered into about the judgements or the judging process.
48. We are unable to provide feedback about individual entries.
49. ABR reserves the right not to award a prize.
To be eligible, entrants must tick the declaration box on the online entry page or the printed entry form.
I hereby declare that the story entered in the Jolley Prize is my own work, has not been previously published or awarded, is not currently on offer to another publication or prize, and will not be so offered for the duration of this competition. I have read all the terms and conditions and agree to abide by them.