States of Poetry Poems
There’s plenty to crack onto, he says, a laundered Valkyrie stomps the DIY:
I reconstitute in the shed, my notes can hit the rafters,
no-one’s selfing over it, like upstairs
on their asbestos balustrade,
a tick-off at the slightest, though their kid
chatters and bounces on the planks.
At last summer rises on a blue cactus.
Without, it’s crumpled outside ... More
As her to you, unhurried,
pair formations addle a skyline,
extrovert welcoming traffic, selfless despot on the inner.
Even so, his pin-cushioned face glues to the backdrop’s nest of wombats.
The city changes from one skyscraper and slate
to the creek’s bag-junked ripple,
decisive formaldehyde splitting a cloud’s anagram of discontent,
replacing slouched ... More
(Idyll II, Theocritus)
Where are my bay leaves and charms, my bowl with crimson flowers
while him inexorable
has gone from my bed like a dress
Distance: spells of fire wreathe you
Shine on this spin or grave
As sight stunned me
Wheel of brass turning from my door
Now wave is still and ... More
You long for night to push away injunctions and sodalities,
sky’s hexagon clouds,
as veins lined with velvet straighten the road and undone casket
and morning’s birds click through dream.
Rest your eyes on the road like an inn,
bundled rubbish a corpse on the nature-strip.
You take the waters.
You embrace a door.
Snaked fields welter through molecu ... More
Were you with a girl at the footy?
my father asks while weighing down
on a milker. His large, freckled hand
like a stone on the claw of the machines
draining a back quarter of an old Jersey
reluctant to give. I lean against a post
darkened and polished by our shoulders.
No, I was just going for a walk. He looks
at me, adds, I saw you beh ... More
Story of the Month
From the issue
- Desley Deacon reviews Seven Big Australians: Adventures with comic actors by Anne Pender
- Rubik Roy reviews Dead Right: How neoliberalism ate itself and what comes next by Richard Denniss
- Michael McGirr reviews King of the Air: The turbulent life of Charles Kingsford Smith by Ann Blainey
- Nicole Abadee reviews Frankissstein: A love story by Jeanette Winterson
- Christina Twomey reviews Contesting Australian History: Essays in honour of Marilyn Lake edited by Joy Damousi and Judith Smart
- Kerryn Goldsworthy reviews Fled by Meg Keneally